And with yet another scene of of "The King's Ankus", I have actually managed to finish the challenge! YAY I WAS REAL WORRIED THERE FOR A MOMENT.
Again, this is in direct sequence after the last scene, #30 - Dried Up. This is proving really easy and fun to adapt, so I'm sure I will finish it, even though I only started it because I was desperate to fill out this challenge.
I guess that's what it's for, isn't it? Getting me to write stuff I might not have otherwise... huh. Funny how that works.
Day #31 - "Drinker of Elephant's Blood"
Adapted from The King's Ankus by Rudyard Kiping
By Phoebe Roberts
Scene 3
AMBIENCE: Birds, breeze, insects
MOWGLI: Look how it glitters! Brighter than Bagheera’s eyes.
KAA: It pleases you?
MOWGLI: Very well. It is nearly as beautiful as new flowers to weave in my hair. What did the dried worm mean, then, when she talked of death?
KAA: I cannot say. I sorrowful to my tail’s tail that he did not feel thy knife. There is always evil in the Cold Lairs, above ground or below. But I am hungry now, little brother— dost thou hunt with me this dawn?
MOWGLI: No, sister; Bagheera must see this thing. Good hunting!
KAA: Good hunting. And take care of thy step. The thing you hold is beautiful, but even in the sunlight I am shivered by it. (Hisses)
SOUND: Slithering
SOUND: Plants creaking
(Exit KAA.)
MOWGLI: At this hour, Bagheera shall be at the pool.
SOUND: Footsteps
SOUND: Leaves rustling
SOUND: Panther lapping at the water
MOWGLI: Bagheera! Was thy kill heavy last night?
BAGHEERA: Heavy as the steps of a man cub in the jungle. I have heard you come as clear as a stampede.
MOWGLI: I have had strange adventures this day. With Kaa I have visited the lair of an old white cobra, who had lurked in the dark above a man’s trove so long she had lost her fangs to defend it. See what I have found there? Sure you have never seen its like.
BAGHEERA: Remember that I was born not in the jungle, but in the King’s cages at Udaipur, and it is in my stomach that I know some little of Man. Very many men would kill thrice in a night for the sake of the big red stone alone.
MOWGLI: But the stone makes it heavy to the hand. My little bright knife is better, and the red stone is not good to eat. Why would they kill?
BAGHEERA: Hast thou forgotten what thou learnt of man? They kill not because they are hunting, but for idleness and pleasure. That thorn-pointed thing in your hand was made by men to thrust into the head of the sons of Hathi, so that the blood should pour out. I have seen the like in the street of Udaipur, before our cages. That one has surely drunk the blood of many.
MOWGLI: But why do they thrust into the heads of elephants?
BAGHEERA: To teach them man’s law. Having neither claws nor teeth, men make these things, and worse.
MOWGLI: Always more blood when I come near, even to the things the Man-Pack have made. If I had known this, I would not have taken it. I will hold it no more. Look! (Effort sound)
SOUND: Ankus flying
SOUND: Blade thunking into the earth
MOWGLI: Now my hands are clean of Death. The dried worm said Death would follow me, but she is old and white and mad.
BAGHEERA: (Yawns) White or black, or death or life, I am going to sleep, Little Brother. I cannot hunt all night and howl all day… as do some folk.
MOWGLI: (Laughing) Then we will sleep, and when we wake, we will move on from this thing and think of it no more. Rest well, my Bagheera.
Again, this is in direct sequence after the last scene, #30 - Dried Up. This is proving really easy and fun to adapt, so I'm sure I will finish it, even though I only started it because I was desperate to fill out this challenge.
I guess that's what it's for, isn't it? Getting me to write stuff I might not have otherwise... huh. Funny how that works.
Day #31 - "Drinker of Elephant's Blood"
Adapted from The King's Ankus by Rudyard Kiping
By Phoebe Roberts
Scene 3
AMBIENCE: Birds, breeze, insects
MOWGLI: Look how it glitters! Brighter than Bagheera’s eyes.
KAA: It pleases you?
MOWGLI: Very well. It is nearly as beautiful as new flowers to weave in my hair. What did the dried worm mean, then, when she talked of death?
KAA: I cannot say. I sorrowful to my tail’s tail that he did not feel thy knife. There is always evil in the Cold Lairs, above ground or below. But I am hungry now, little brother— dost thou hunt with me this dawn?
MOWGLI: No, sister; Bagheera must see this thing. Good hunting!
KAA: Good hunting. And take care of thy step. The thing you hold is beautiful, but even in the sunlight I am shivered by it. (Hisses)
SOUND: Slithering
SOUND: Plants creaking
(Exit KAA.)
MOWGLI: At this hour, Bagheera shall be at the pool.
SOUND: Footsteps
SOUND: Leaves rustling
SOUND: Panther lapping at the water
MOWGLI: Bagheera! Was thy kill heavy last night?
BAGHEERA: Heavy as the steps of a man cub in the jungle. I have heard you come as clear as a stampede.
MOWGLI: I have had strange adventures this day. With Kaa I have visited the lair of an old white cobra, who had lurked in the dark above a man’s trove so long she had lost her fangs to defend it. See what I have found there? Sure you have never seen its like.
BAGHEERA: Remember that I was born not in the jungle, but in the King’s cages at Udaipur, and it is in my stomach that I know some little of Man. Very many men would kill thrice in a night for the sake of the big red stone alone.
MOWGLI: But the stone makes it heavy to the hand. My little bright knife is better, and the red stone is not good to eat. Why would they kill?
BAGHEERA: Hast thou forgotten what thou learnt of man? They kill not because they are hunting, but for idleness and pleasure. That thorn-pointed thing in your hand was made by men to thrust into the head of the sons of Hathi, so that the blood should pour out. I have seen the like in the street of Udaipur, before our cages. That one has surely drunk the blood of many.
MOWGLI: But why do they thrust into the heads of elephants?
BAGHEERA: To teach them man’s law. Having neither claws nor teeth, men make these things, and worse.
MOWGLI: Always more blood when I come near, even to the things the Man-Pack have made. If I had known this, I would not have taken it. I will hold it no more. Look! (Effort sound)
SOUND: Ankus flying
SOUND: Blade thunking into the earth
MOWGLI: Now my hands are clean of Death. The dried worm said Death would follow me, but she is old and white and mad.
BAGHEERA: (Yawns) White or black, or death or life, I am going to sleep, Little Brother. I cannot hunt all night and howl all day… as do some folk.
MOWGLI: (Laughing) Then we will sleep, and when we wake, we will move on from this thing and think of it no more. Rest well, my Bagheera.